Thursday, October 6, 2011

I'm reading a book I've heard about for years and I'm loving it. It's called One bowl: a guide to eating for body and spirit by Don Gerrard.

His method is so aligned with who I am, what is important to me, how I eat when I'm at home and how I see things. It's an evolved form of what I already do. It feels like the steps he takes one through are exactly what I need for myself to gain the control that has been eluding me for years.

Yesterday I went to the Plaza to my favorite kitchen supply place and chose my small bowl which is amber colored glass and fits snugly and comfortably in my hand. The bowl is to hold about one cup, not more than a cup and a half.

I came home and washed it and then filled it with Pad Se ew (thai broad noodles with veggies), selected a wonderful spot (not at the table) in which to enjoy my little bowl of food. I sat in my loveseat in the living room, holding the bowl in one hand while holding my fork in the other. It looked like so little food, but as I ate, slowly savoring every bite and feeling happy in my surroundings, it took quite some time to finish. I could have filled the bowl again, as many times as I wanted, but I was surprisingly satisfied. The key is to focus on all the inner physical and emotional processes that one goes through while one eats. One usually stops at the neck and doesn't pay much attention to what happens below. This process trains one to become very, very familiar with all the associated feelings until one, over time, eats the way we were meant to eat, naturally.

I'm pursuing this. It's something that fits me. I invite you to join me. I'd love to have company!

No comments:

Post a Comment